- 2 pounds lean ground lamb or beef
- 2 slices bacon cut into small pieces
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 garlic clove diced
- 1 12oz. package of frozen ‘peas & carrots’
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cut into small cubes
- 3 medium white potatoes peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of half & half
- salt & black pepper
- Dizzy Pig Mediterraneanish seasoning
- 1 eight ounce package of shredded Cheddar Cheese
Build a coal fire in the Big Green Egg. Place the cast iron Dutch Oven on the cooking grid with the ground meat to brown. Remove and drain the rendered oil from the meat. Set aside with the lid on the Dutch Oven.
In a skillet on your stove, render the fat from the bacon and when almost done add the onions to sauté’. When onions are clear remove from the skillet. Add the ‘peas & carrots’ and garlic to the pan with 1/2 cup of water. Heat until boiling, reduce heat and then cover to simmer for five minutes.
In a large pot cover the potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Boil until a small knife will easily penetrate thru the potato cube. Drain and then add the butter to the pot. Using an electric blender, beat the potatoes (adding Half & Half) until they are creamy. Use more Half & Half if necessary.
Add ‘salt & pepper’ and the Dizzy Pig Seasoning to taste. Build the Pie!
Spoon the meat mixture into a large aluminum foil grill pan. Add the bacon and onion mixture, and then the peas & carrot mixture to the meat. Mix thoroughly.
Spoon the creamy potatoes over the top of the meat, and then cover with the shredded cheese.
Cover with foil and then return to the grill. Cook for 30 minutes to melt the cheese on top of the potatoes.
Remove and serve with sliced bread! Enjoy,
TL Stallings, Madison Fireplace & Patio