PUMPKIN PIE CORNBREAD
- 2 boxes Jiffy cornbread mix 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 15oz can of pumpkin puree
- 4 Tbs honey
- 7 Tbs butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup hulled pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 block (8oz) cream cheese softened
- This recipe was adapted for the grill from a recipe in Good Housekeeping magazine.
Preheat the grill to 400 degrees, and set up for indirect cooking.
In a skillet on your stove melt a pat of butter and add the pumpkin seeds, salt, and onions.
Saute’ and toast the mixture for a few minutes. Set aside.
In a bowl combine the cheese, pumpkin puree, butter, and honey.
In a seperate bowl wisk 2 large eggs with the buttermilk. Add the Jiffy mix and combine with the buttermilk mixture.
Once combined add to the pumpkin mixture stirring well.
Pour into a greased aluminum baking pan. Shake pan to level the batter and then add the onion / pumpkin seed mixture to the top.
Bake on the grill for approximately 30 minutes. Check doneness with a toothpike pushed into the bread. When removed clean, the bread is done.
Serve with baked chicken or turkey. Enjoy, TL Stallings